Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Not a good day when you see a man get pulled out from under the train

I am still a little shaken up about this. I was coming home from downtown on the 'EL' Red Line. We stopped with just the first two cars into the Wilson stop. The lights go out, which is pretty ordinary. But then the train turns off completely. I'm still all focused on my book, and my music, and what the fuck. It's the EL. Things happen, and it gets held up all the time.

We sit. No word from the conductor. No prerecorded message about workers ahead, or the train being stopped but will be starting momentarily. I'm still engrossed in my book (about the resurgence of modesty) but become distracted by the sounds of many sirens coming, coming, and then not passing us. Then the conductor walks into our car. He looks frazzled and a bit shaken, and says that there has been an "incident" and we all have to make our way up to the front of the train and out onto the platform. We are about 5 or 6 cars back from there.

When I get out onto the platform, and by the front of the train I see a mass of emergency rescue workers. And then I see them pull a man out from under the front of the train. Other workers immediately started making us all get off the platform and onto the street.

It was a pretty horrendous sight and I'm a little sick to my stomach.

I ended up walking a few miles till I got ahold of someone to come and pick me up. I could have caught a variety of buses to get me home, but I needed to walk to try to shake the image out of my head.

People who were on the platform when it happened said the man jumped.

1 comment:

Erika Jean said...

oh my gosh!! I would have nightmares!