Monday, November 10, 2008

I freaking love being in a band.

The first tambourine I got didn't really work for me. It was a heavy wooden thing with a drum top and a tiny hole big enough for my thumb to hold it. Also the seam of the band that went around the side was right were my thumb was and it would dig into my hand and caused my hand to swell.

So I bought some new ones. I had meant to only get a few items, but I accidentally bought 10. I meant to put the rest in my saved cart, and somehow didn't notice that they never made it there. In the end, it's cool, because they all have a different sound. So now I have:
1) The original drum top, heavy wood one.
2) a white crescent with a double row.
3) TWO black single row crescents. (I accidentally bought two.*shrug*)
4) A blue full moon that Adam (the guitarist) gave me yesterday.
5) A small white star shaped tambourine that is meant for a child but has a great high sound.
6) A full sized star shaped tambourine that is purple and black striped. It is pretty awesome.

I also bought a few other things:
1) Bells on a stick. Seriously, that is what they are called. And it was a dollar.
2) A wristlet of bells. It was also a dollar. I'm a sucker for a deal.
3) Wood Combination Rhythm Sticks. They are about 8 inches long. One is smooth, and one is grooved. You rub them together and they make neat sounds.
4) Castanets. Plastic and neon green and loud!
5) Maracas. Bright yellow with a wood handle and the loudest freaking things I've ever heard, but smooth too.

Last, but most certainly not least:

6) COWBELL!!! I got a really good one too. It has an awesome pure sound, and it's heavy as hell.

So I'm pretty loaded down at this point. We actually need all the tambourines so I'm not upset about getting them all. First of all, they all have a slightly different sound, so I'll use different ones for different songs. Plus we are working on a song right now where everyone needs to have a tambourine, or hand percussion during the bridge. Oh, and I'm using the cowbell for 70% of it. Hell yeah!!

The only downside is I keep hurting myself. First my left hand was all swollen and sore, and now that I solved that problem (by not using that f**king tambourine anymore) the other hand got jacked up. My right palm is all bruised and sore from practice last night. But that's alright. Keith says I'll eventually build callouses. And I figure, I'm married, so I don't need soft hands anymore. Smiley

Oh Oh!! And we got a drummer last night. His name is Nate, and he is fantastic. And he seems to mesh really well with everyone already so we're really happy.

No comments: